Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fear of flying alone with kids

My Aunt and Uncle moved to AZ when I was in elementary school. My dad's parents retired out there when I was around 14. My parents decided to move out west immediately after I got engaged. They of course took my baby sister (who was a freshman in high school at the time). So, I have family out there.

It is has been awhile since we have been able to go out there. Partially because it is so expensive to fly and partially because it is so hard to fly with kids. I actually really like to travel. I have always loved planning for the trip. I had a suitcase as a kid (it was carebears) that said "getting there is half the fun". I took that to heart. I love packing travel bags. I love picking snacks and organizing. Even as a young kid I would pack weeks ahead of a trip and repack. It was how I showed my excitement. I remember sitting on the stairs with my sister practicing the order in which we would play with our road trip toys. Yes, I am a nerd, but I have a plan just about for everything.

So, all that to say that we are going to fly out to see my family in February. I am very excited to see everyone. My only fear or nervous spot is that I am traveling by myself with three little boys.  I have already started mentally planning snacks and toys to pack. I have bought stocking stuffers on clearance so there are fun surprises in their bags. I have suckers for going up and coming down. I have gum. I will take empty water bottles so I can fill them at drinking fountains. I have dry drink mix to dump in said bottles when the kids complain they want juice. I will take extra batteries for the leapster. A dvd player ready to go, coloring books, silly putty, books, toys for the baby, diapers, wipes for butts and hands, and as many snacks as I can too keep there mouths full.

So over the next few weeks I will be looking for as many ideas for fun easier travel with kids. I am sure it will be easier now that I have two potty trained. I need to call ahead and find out if they will let me bring milk for Levi. He will need it. :)



Note: I have taken out the section where I chose to vent. I did not mean to offend any one. I apologize for anything that I said that came out as hurtful. It was not the way it was meant I assure you.Thank you for letting me know that it was coming across as less than kind. :)

3 comments:

Kate Blakely said...

I think you'll do just fine, just plan ahead. Make sure the bigger boys know ahead of time what's expected of them. The empty water bottles are a great idea, make sure as you pack everything utilize space and pack light so you have less to carry around the airport. With leapsters, DVD player and everything else I'm sure there will be lots to keep the boys occupied, and they can always look out the window. They may even surprise you and take a nap! I'd try to get a direct flight if I were you so you don't have to worry about layovers or making connecting flights. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

They will let you take milk, but they will have to test it after you go through security. Also, you can ask that Dan have a pass to go back to the gate with you. They have done this for me the last couple of times I've flown alone, Aaron on one end and my mom on the other, but I also think it somewhat depends on who you get in the ticket line.

I'm flying by myself with the kiddos for the first time in over a year! But I'm pretty confident it'll be ok. I have two Ipod touches and we're all in our own seats. OH! And stickers! Those fascinate my kids for long time.
http://us.macmillan.com/book.aspx?isbn=9780312494322
I have found tons of these types of books at like Ross and TJ Maxx. My kids love them and it really keeps them entertained!
Wish we lived closer to Pheonix (?) Although if it were up to Aaron today, we'd move this winter down to a Mormon populated AZ city. This winter's been tough on him! :)
Love you!

The Energizer Mommy said...

Love this site:
http://www.deliciousbaby.com/journal/2007/nov/16/ten-tips-keeping-toddler-occupied-plane/
Hopefully you'll find something you can use.