Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Not nana's apple cake

(Excuse the picture. We were hungry and it was good.)

I had a bunch of apples on hand and I knew we were not getting through them quick enough. I decide an apple cake sounded delicious, but I didn't have a mix. My favorite apple cake is from Tastefully simple. So I looked for a copycat recipe. I found this one here


Tastefully Simple Nana's Apple Cake Recipe
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg or mace
1 tsp. ginger
6 cups peeled, diced tart apples

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and add to mixture. Stir in apples. Spoon into greased 11 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
Optional: Add 1/2 cup chopped nuts to recipe at same time as apples.

 It is super yummy. I know this will be a redo.

No comments: