Thursday, May 5, 2011

Amplyopia

We took Levi for his follow up eye exam yesterday. The doc came in all joking and happy flashed a few fingers in front of Levi and said he needed to start wearing a patch. Apparently the glasses aren't fixing his lazy eye. So, for four hours each day I am supposed to put this little green dinosaur patch on my 22 month old's eye. Yeah, and I thought glasses would be a pain.

I was checking out and the receptionist asked me to fill out this pamplet thing. Midway through I decided to ask what it was I was filling out. She explained to me that it was the Ohio Amblyopia registry. They like to know who is diagnosed with it because it is the leading cause of blindness in children. WHAT?! The doctor didn't tell me any of that.

I got home and of course did a little reading. My baby is not blind and pretty sure he isn't going blind. But, we are trying to correct this. The doctor did say there may be surgery in our near future though...there it is. Each of our boys have had surgery and now we have found out what Levi's will be on. Maybe our daughter will have better luck since she won't have the same genes. :)

Now I just have to figure out how to get this patch to stay on. He hates it. He screams and pulls it off. He throws it across the room in anger. YAY! Plus, he is not feeling well any how right now. He is getting teeth and he has a fever and is miserable. Ah, the joys of childhood.

No comments: