Monday, January 19, 2009

My boys and their love of sports



I grew up in a house of women. Aside from my poor father there were women everywhere. So having boys is a new experience every day. One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the constant need to be throwing, kicking, hitting, aiming, winning. I read "Bringing up Boys". I have listened to mothers of boys, but I am still in awe. A toy phone can be a tennis racket. A stick goes from golf club to baseball bat and back again. If it is round it is a ball, and thus it must be thrown.

Both my boys have learned ball as one of their first words. They are able to identify a football from a basketball from a soccer ball. And with little to no instruction throw or kick each in the correct form. I have yet to find any sport that has not appealed to them.

I have found it is not worth wasting money on expensive toys because if given the choice of a video game or a ball the ball always wins. I know that girls are this way with baby dolls and dress up. I am just amazed over and over again at how such a simple piece of round material can bring such joy to a boy. I am learning to keep my eyes open for I never know when something will come flying at me from across the room. I'm sure someday I will wonder where all the balls went. I'm sure when the boys grow and there are no longer 30 different color, shapes, sizes, and textures of balls around my house I will miss it. I also know before the boys are gone it will only get worse. I realize that my garage will soon look like a sporting goods store threw up. I look forward to all the adventures that these boys bring. I realize how different boys are from girls. I think it is so fun to watch how our Lord created us to be different. I'm so thankful for the ability to see what that looks like up close and personal.

No comments: